Toward an efficient, resource-friendly energy supply
This MTET research program aims at providing essential scientific insights and viable technologies for the energy transition in Germany and for the sustainable transformation of the energy supply and use worldwide.
To reach its ambitious goals, the research program addresses research and development work to assively extend renewable electricity production, and to integrate a higher share of renewable electricity into the entire energy system. This includes efforts to enhance the efficiency in renewable energy harvesting, provision, and rational use for electricity production, but also for the industry, heat and mobility sectors.
Aiming for a sustainable future economy, the closure of carbon, mineral and metallic materials cycles is mandatory. Therefore, the MTET research program considers innovative energy technologies and the related impact on resource processing in a holistic manner.
In the MTET Program, we will face key material and technological challenges for the energy transition in Germany and worldwide. By developing fundamental scientific insights and viable technologies for a sustainable transformation of the energy supply, we aim for strengthening the role of the Helmholtz Association as a worldwide renowned leader. We have defined the following six joint and overarching objectives for the MTET Program to achieve these ambitious goals:
- We aim for scientific breakthroughs, visible scientific excellence and global leadership in all topics of the MTET Program.
- We will develop relevant and attractive technologies for the energy transition in Germany and worldwide. We will push their transfer into real life applications by collaborating with industry partners and promoting spin-off companies.
- We will provide a highly valuable and fully validated input to the Helmholtz Energy Transition Roadmap that serves policy makers and the society as a guideline for a successful energy transition in Germany; our data will contribute to a realistic assessment of the costs related to the energy transition process for Germany.
- We will recruit and inspire top research talents to qualify the next generation of scientific leaders in materials and technologies for the energy transition.
- We will develop world-class methods characterizing materials and evaluating technologies for the energy transition.
- We will provide excellent and unique research infrastructures for developing materials and technologies for the energy transition; by making these infrastructures accessible to national and international researchers from outside the Helmholtz Association we will strengthen the leading role of Germany in energy transition technologies.
Hermann-von-Helmholtz-Platz 1 (Building 433)
Tel.: +49 721 608-28015
Karlsruhe Institute of Technology
P.O. Box 3640
MTET Program Manager
Tel.: +49 721 608-28015
Tel.: +49 721 608-XXXXX
Stimmberechtigte teilnehmende Institutsleiter/innen
Die Leiter/innen der am Programm MTET beteiligten Institute des KIT bilden für die Programmperiode eine Programmkommission. Bei kollegialen Institutsleitungen ist ein/e Institutsvertreter/in stimmberechtigt, während der/die anderen als Gäste teilnehmen.
(Laut §9 der gemeinsamen Satzung des KIT, 20. Dezember 2013)
Vertreter/innen der Administration / der Dienstleistungseinheiten des KIT
3. Februar 2022
11. Februar 2021
28. September 2021
5. Oktober 2020
9. November 2020
Steering Committee (Steuerkreis)
The steering committee (of the program MTET at KIT) consists of exactly one participant of the five MTET topics (topic speaker or representative) as well as the responsible head of division, scientific KIT program speaker and program manager.
Tasks / Responsibility
Develops proposal for budget allocation of the R&D Program Commission
Strategic program development
Implementation and monitoring of recommendations given by reviewer and HGF senate
Preparation of the Scientific Advisory Board of the research field energy at KIT and implementation of the comments and recommendations