We share and transfer knowledge and technology to the public, experts, politics, administration and the business world.
Joint Initiative for Research and Innovation (Pakt für Forschung und Innovation)
In 2005, the federal and state governments launched the Joint Initiative for Research and Innovation (Pakt für Forschung und Innovation, PFI), which has been updated several times since then, with the aim of strengthening the competitiveness of the German science system by making better use of existing potential.
Based on research policy goals, the funding agencies have established target agreements with the science organizations for the respective organization-specific implementation.
One of these goals is to strengthen transfer to industry and society: "An efficient science system is the breeding ground for innovations and provides knowledge for action and decision-making to meet major societal challenges. The science organizations will give central priority to the transfer and utilization of ideas, research results and knowledge through intensive exchange with industry, society and politics."
Field of action II "Strengthening transfer into science and society"
Strengthening transfer to industry and society is an important part of our mission. A central concern for the coming period of the Joint Initiative for Research and Innovation (2021-2030) will therefore be to anchor knowledge and technology transfer comprehensibly at all levels, in the Centers' Leitbilder and missions, and in the goals of the research fields.
Measures for the targeted expansion of knowledge transfer initiatives are:
Anchoring and strategies
- Anchoring the transfer of knowledge and technology as a fixed point of reference in the mission statements and missions of the centers ".
- Development or review of transfer strategies with regard to expansion in the area of technology transfer" in the area of technology transfer".
- Strategic focal points in the area of knowledge transfer and measures geared to these focal points
- Budget for transfer support and transfer projects
- Strengthening the culture of recognition ('transfer welcome')
- Further professionalization of technology transfer offices
- Anchoring transfer as part of research planning
- Improvement of transfer-related communication strategies
- Number of invention disclosures
- Validation funding - application for funding from the VIP+ federal program and other programs at federal and state level
- Use of funds for the promotion of innovation projects from center-internal Innovation Fund"
Partners for industry
- Establishment of new development partnerships with industry
- Contract research
- Advanced training for areas outside science / qualification offers for an activity in / cooperation with industry
- Establishment of digital platforms, Open Labs, Real Labs and Demo Labs
- Concepts for technology marketing
- Information services
- Establishment of further professionalized units in the field of knowledge transfer
- Citizen dialogue and citizen science
- Scientific policy advice
- Standardization and norming
Actions & Activities of MTET Scientists
- Citizen Dialogue and Citizen Science
- Commissioned studies as a basis for political decisions (client: public authorities)
- Participation in procedures of recognized national organizations for standardization (DIN, ISO, CEN, DWA, ITVA)
- Strengthening of technology transfer at large research infrastructures
- Transfer to studies and teaching
- Patenting of research results
- Founding of startups & spin-offs
- Scientific collaborative projects for technology demonstration together with industry
Measures of the Helmholtz Association
The Helmholtz Association has several knowledge and technology transfer instruments. Each starts at different stage in the application-readiness level, in the progression from basic research to application, and each helps researchers bridge specific gaps in the transfer pathway.
Helmholtz website: Helmholtz Association Transfer Instruments
Modular chemical plants for Gas-to-Liquid, Power-to-Gas & Power-to-Liquid processes producing CO2 neutral fuels for mobility, storage of "green" energy & decentralized production of chemicals: INERATECTwitter@INERATEC_global
Low-maintenance electrostatic particle separator Carola® for wood-fired biomass boilers (50 kW to 1 MW) reduces soot & fine dust pollution meeting the emission standards of 1st BImSchG.CCA website
bioliq® process & exploitation concept was developed in cooperation with AirLiquid & Pricewaterhouse Coopers. R&D platform for refuels with automotive, chemical & petroleum industry.bioliq® website
Prof. Helmut Ehrenberg was appointed by the Federal Ministry of Education & Research to the advisory board "Battery Research Germany" & joins as KIT's third MTET scientist.more
The objective of the project is to identify key innovations of energy-efficient solutions and to network them in their different application areas within the BMWi Research Network Energy.EE4InG website
Workshop of industry, science & policy makers about innovative products & technical solutions reducing energy consumption & CO2 emissions.EE4InG website
Citizen Dialogue | School Labs - Kids' University - Boys & Girls Day - Career Orientation Traineeship (BOGY & BORS)
...is an authentic place of learning & teaching. It provides insights into current research topics of superconductor technology & energy supply.KIT School Lab Energy website
Lectures and interactive workshops during the summer vacations for children aged 7 to 14 at the KIT Children's University Campus. >>> website
The pupils (9th grade) gain their first practical experience in the school internship and thereby get an insight into their possible dream job.more