In the MTET Program, we will face key material and technological challenges for the energy transition in Germany and worldwide. By developing fundamental scientific insights and viable technologies for a sustainable transformation of the energy supply, we aim for strengthening the role of the Helmholtz Association as a worldwide renowned leader. We have defined the following six joint and overarching objectives for the MTET Program to achieve these ambitious goals:
• We aim for scientific breakthroughs, visible scientific excellence and global leadership in all
topics of the MTET Program.
• We will develop relevant and attractive technologies for the energy transition in Germany and
worldwide. We will push their transfer into real life applications by collaborating with industry
partners and promoting spin-off companies.
• We will provide a highly valuable and fully validated input to the Helmholtz energy transition
roadmap that serves policy makers and the society as a guideline for a successful energy
transition in Germany; our data will contribute to a realistic assessment of the costs related to
the energy transition process for Germany.
• We will recruit and inspire top research talents to qualify the next generation of scientific leaders
in materials and technologies for the energy transition.
• We will develop world-class methods characterizing materials and evaluating technologies for
the energy transition.
• We will provide excellent and unique research infrastructures for developing materials and
technologies for the energy transition; by making these infrastructures accessible to national
and international researchers from outside the Helmholtz Association we will strengthen the
leading role of Germany in energy transition technologies.